Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Nine in the side.. or not


I really need to start practing more.  Pool, that is.  I used to be pretty good.  As a teenager, my friends and up would head up to Fox Valley (20 minute drive) just to shoot at a busy pool hall.  We became something close to regulars.  As I got to bar age, I found a new venue for my pool playing.  Then, inexplicably, I fell out of it.  I just stopped playing, pretty much.  As a result, I don't play as well as I used to.

It's frustrating, particularly when I miss an easy shot or someone tells me what I did wrong.  It's frustrating because I usually am well aware of what I did wrong.  I've lost some of my ability to see the shot, and my execution is off.  It's simply a matter of practicing more, but everyone seems to have their two cents.

It's even more frustrating when I've got it down and I'm in a groove, and then someone interrupts me.  It's like, while you're at it, why don't ya just pick up the cue ball and drop it in the hole for me?  Like last night; I'm on a streak, feeling my shots and taking them quickly, got maybe three in a row and I'm on number four.  I go to take my next shot and one of my teammates calls out, "Slow down!"  I pause a moment, line up my shot again, and miss.  I subsequently lost my match-up.  I wanted to club her with my cue.  If I miss or you see I'm obviously doing something wrong (like shooting at the wrong ball), then you can tell me to slow down or whatever.  If I'm on a roll, shut the fuck up!

No comments:

Post a Comment